Some archive (>10 years old) programs are not reachable through the search engine. They can be found at
Your support is essential if the service is to continue, there are bandwidth bills to pay every month and failing disk drives to replace. Volunteers do the work, but disk drives and bandwidth are not free. Click on this bar to contribute, even a dollar helps.
Program Information
 Steppin' Out of Babylon 
 Annie Kajir
 Sue Supriano  
 For non-profit use only.
Hear about Annie Kajir's experience as an environmentalist in a hostile area in which the corrupt government is illegally logging the indigenious lands of Papua New Guinea.
Annie Kajir, environmental attorney, activist and Director of the Environmental Law Center of Papua New Guinea. The land of these indigenious people is being logged at a disastrous rate. Although the state legally only owns 3% of the land, while its constituents own the remaining 97%, the "powers that be" continue to destroy the homes and villages of these native and rightful landowners.

Annie Kajir is an indigenous native woman of Papua New Guinea. She is also an environmental activist, attorney, and the Director of the Environmental Law Center that she helped to establish. She received the Goldman Environmental Prize in San Francisco for her work protecting the resources of New Guinea. She gave a keynote speech at the Public Interest and Environmental Law Conference at the University of Oregon in Eugene, Oregon in March 2007.

On that occasion she presented a slideshow that showed the horrendous logging in New Guinea. In this show she speaks about the island nation of Papua New Guinea, an area that has 850 different languages. The people still use a barter system, instead of money, in order to make their living off of the land itself. Hear about Annie Kajir's experience of as a environmentalist in a hostile area in which the corrupt government is illegally logging these indigenous lands.

Contact Annie Kajir by E-mail:

Recorded: March 2007.

Sue Supriano's Steppin' Out of Babylon is a radio interview series covering a broad range of important issues in today's world: peace and war, human and civil rights, communication, the media, the environment, food security, racism, globalization, immigration and matters of the spirit.

 AnnieKajir Download Program Podcast
00:26:53 English 2007-03-01
 Eugene, OR
  View Script
AnnieKajir  00:26:53  64Kbps mp3
(13MB) Stereo
259 Download File...